Friday, July 21, 2006

Freedom and Slavery...

It's been a long week, so forgive me if I ramble a bit. I was thinking today about the nature of freedom, and of slavery.
In particular, I was pondering financial slavery. Back in the 1950s, a man would work for a single company for much of his life, with the wife typically staying home to raise the kids and care for the home. Not necessarily the best deal for the wife, but my point is that a single person was able to provide financially for an entire family. A huge step up from the condition of the family farmer, where a man and his entire family would labor from sunup to sundown. Now, it seems we have gone backwards, with both parents often working full time and even multiple jobs, and the kids pitching in as they get older. Most people of my generation will be lucky to keep food on the table when they are seniors, let alone ever owning a home.
How did we arrive here? I believe part of the blame lies in modern conveniences. Back in the 50s, things such as an automobile, and major appliances were seen as time saving conveniences. Those who could afford them, did so. Over time, luxuries began to be seen as, and later became in fact, necessities. Where once a car was a luxury, in most places today it is a neccessity. If a family today has no tv, those children will be made fun of and ostracised in school, due to lack of knowledge about pop culture.
Where once the American dream was owning a home and having 2.5 children, today's 30 somethings just want to afford their medicine upon retiring, and perhaps have a room in a nice nursing home. So many things are presented to us as necessities, that many of us are overwhelmed and suckered into believing it. For instance, what would I do with a big screen tv? My living room is larger than most, and a big screen would overwhelm it.
My newest vehicle is 13 years old, and runs fine. Why would I go into debt for a fancy new truck that will cost one forth of what I paid for my house? I own my vehicles, debt free. I own my home, debt free. Well, except for the King's taxes, which must be paid yearly. My rent, as it were. I digress. Why would I put myself in debt for fancy toys? I have a friend I've known since high school. She got into auto repair, and excelled. She's been making as much as double my average salary for close to ten years now. She has nothing to show for it. Well, nearly nothing. After her truck was stolen recently, she borrowed a page from me, and paid cash for a used truck, rather than go farther into debt. However, she can't stop working for at least ten years, due to payments on jet skis, and ATVs and big screen tvs and stereo equipment. I'm not saying don't enjoy life. I'm not saying don't have nice things. But show restraint. Think about the nature of a purchase before laying down the plastic genie. I began paying my first mortgage at 24. I paid off a 5 bedroom home at 29. Think about that, before you buy a new car. Sure, that 2001 Ford Taurus has peeling paint, but it runs just fine. If you need a truck, trade for a good used one. There may come a time when you wish you had.
We get caught up in fancy toys, and we lose sight of important things such as freedom. Not freedom to watch a movie on a 357" plasma monitor, or get my new H2 stuck in the mud where a Jeep driver has to pull me out. Freedom to hold my head up as a man, and know that my family has a place to live, that I have something to pass on to my daughter.
If one is not free to cease working due to financial obligations, is one not as much a slave as if he were wearing chains? Our chains are made of federal reserve notes, not steel, but they hold us as surely.
Rant over. For now.
Remember. The media lies. The government lies. If you would know the truth, you must seek it for yourself. If you seek the truth, follow the money.


1 Comments:

Blogger truth said...

You are so right with this article. An awakening of America is needed in a major way as to who really pulls the strings: international banking interests.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com